granite building, solid services
Constructed of the island’s distinctive granite stone, Castel is situated in a quiet rural lane - close to the west coast, but still just a few minutes’ drive from the main shopping centre of St Peter Port.
Originally a general hospital, it has specialised in caring for people with mental health-related problems since 1945, providing valuable support and respite services, both to clients and their carers. Historically, the hospital accommodated 100 clients
The Acute Mental Health Service today is at the planning stage of a new-site development and it is hoped this will be ready within the next three years. The Service currently consists of the following areas:
- Albecq ward, an acute mental health admission & assessment facility with 21 beds - the only inpatient unit on the Castel site.
- An acute mental health day centre.
- Community Mental Health team base.
- Depot and Lithium outpatient clinics.
- Medical suite / Psychology department.
- Counselling service for mentally disturbed offenders within the States Prison
Away from the main hospital site there are four community rehabilitation homes - Rayleigh House, Beaucette Place, Mill Cottage and Newington Place - with a total of 28 beds.